Weekday Volunteer Program
We enjoy sharing our passion for helping veterans in need, and we want our volunteers to feel welcome and involved. Children and adults alike come together with us by their contribution of time and energy to help make it all happen.
Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. However, most volunteer opportunities are available Tuesday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. There are morning and afternoon shifts, depending on the department you are interested in and your availability. Schedules are subject to change, depending on the needs of the Training Center and estimated volunteer participants.
All volunteers must attend a Volunteer Orientation session for an introduction to Patriot PAWS Service Dogs, completion of an application, and selection of a department. Once orientation is completed and applications are received, schedules will be made for the following month — the current schedule can be found below. At this time, Orientations are held the third or fourth Friday of the month from 2:30 to 3:00 p.m. at Patriot PAWS Training Center, 254 Ranch Trail in Rockwall, TX. We strive to provide opportunities in most areas of our business and appreciate all the help volunteers are able to give to our small staff.
Here are the ways you can be involved as a Patriot PAWS volunteer:
Kid’s Play and Summer Play — Limit 8 each class, any age
Play with puppies and adult dogs while teaching them social manners.
Schedule: Kid’s Play — one hour on Wednesday afternoons. This time slot is typically reserved for Homeschoolers during the school year, but open to all during the summer. Summer Play — one hour on Wednesday mornings. This time slot is only available during the summer, but is open to everyone.
- Learn 5 basic training cues
- Play with dogs as directed by trainers
- Observe dogs working with trainers
Office Assistants — Age 18+
Assist the administrative staff and trainers with various clerical tasks.
Schedule: Three hours on Friday mornings.
- Assembling manuals
- Data entry
- Telephone backup
- Creative projects
Trainer’s Assistants — Age 15+
Learn basic obedience training; observe and assist trainers with basic service dog training.
Schedule: Tuesdays in two shifts, three hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon.
- Walking dogs
- Hand feeding daily food
- Potty breaks
- Obedience sessions, up to 5 cues: eye contact/name game, sit/stay, down/stay, kennel, place, LLW/EC/Doorways
- Cleaning kennels
- Cleaning dog yard
Special Events and Fundraising
Join training staff, puppy raisers and other volunteers at local, planned special events year-round, such as: parades, concerts, fundraisers, etc.
Plan something on your own, such as: Day in the Park with food trucks, Art Auction, Photography, etc.
Primarily for out-of-towners, PAWS Ambassadors are those who want to be involved and help spread the word beyond our reach.
- Build crowd-funding pages
- Schedule social events and give our presentation to your group
- Hand out materials and solicit donations
- Call for details
Policies & Procedures
- NO Drop-In volunteer opportunities are available. Please sign-up for the time/area of work which interests you.
- All potential and current volunteers must attend an orientation. You are only required to attend 1 Volunteer Orientation session.
- Junior Volunteers (children 0-18) must attend orientation with a parent.
- Once they have attended orientation, they may volunteer with or without an adult depending on age.
- Children 0-10 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- Children 11-18 years may attend without an adult present.
- If you are volunteering for Kid’s Play, we prefer 48 hours notice of cancellation. We have many families and children interested in attending, and greatly appreciate advanced notice if you are unable to attend a session you are signed-up for so that someone else may participate.
- The Volunteer Application has been re-designed according to the new program, and as such, all volunteers will be required to fill out a new application prior to or during orientation.