Texas Residents Only
Become part of our team…become a Patriot PAWS Puppy Raiser!
Puppy Raisers open their hearts and their homes to a puppy/dog and are responsible for building on the foundation that was implemented by Patriot PAWS when the organization was founded. Are you interested in becoming a puppy raiser for Patriot PAWS? We would love to have you as part of our team! Read below for more information.
Full-Time Puppy Raisers
Full-Time puppy raisers live and work with their puppy/dog in their homes for a length of time determined by the Patriot PAWS trainers. The amount of time a puppy raiser has a dog depends on many factors, but the maximum time the dog will be with you is approximately three to four months. Before you decide to foster one of our adorable, energetic puppies/dogs you may want to consider what Patriot PAWS needs from you.
Please remember that puppy raising is a donation of your time, contributions and service. We, at Patriot PAWS appreciate your dedication to our program.
- Providing a safe, healthy environment where the puppy/dog feels loved and wanted
- Attendance at training sessions at least twice a month. Daytime classes are held two Fridays each month from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Socializing the puppy/dog and keeping him/her with you as much as possible (i.e. shopping, work, family outings, etc.)
- Teaching the puppy/dog good house manners
- Understanding that this is a family commitment. Everyone in the family is to be involved in the welfare of the puppy/dog
- Exercising and training your puppy/dog daily
- Having a fenced-in yard
- The willingness to follow the training guidelines given by Patriot PAWS
- Returning the dog to Patriot PAWS as instructed by the trainers
- Providing monthly reports provided by the trainers
- There are special requirements for Texas residents living over 200 miles from the Rockwall area. Please send an email to Rhonda Lee at Rhonda@patriotpaws.org for more information.
- PLEASE NOTE, THE RESPONSIBLE PARTY FOR THE PUPPY/DOG MIST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE
Weekend Puppy Raisers
If you are unable to commit to being a full-time Puppy Raiser, another option is to become a Weekend Puppy Raiser. Our dogs need to be pets, too! Weekend Puppy Raisers help socialize our dogs by allowing them in their homes to play and meet all kinds of people. We also expect weekenders to have our dogs in a safe environment and work on good house manners. Weekenders will pick up their dog on Friday at the Rockwall Training Center and drop off their dog on Monday morning at the Rockwall Training Center.
Weekend dogs will not be given public access (i.e. he/she will not come home with a Patriot PAWS vest). If you would like to take the dog out in public you will have to go through the same training as Full-Time Puppy Raisers.
Click Here to Submit Your Puppy Raisers Application